Ok, time for a run down of unanswered questions that have come up since I started the blog. Here’s stuff I’d really like to know:
(1) Why is per day accomodation cheaper in relatively wealthier regions such as South East Asia than in West Africa/Ivory Coast? My inconclusive thoughts about this are in the Daily Rental Mystery post.
(2) Building materials and tools used to construct houses in Abidjan – to what proportion are they locally produced in the Ivory Coast? When I am in shops in Abidjan I always look at labels to see where things come from – which I believe gives some sort of indication on trade streams, eg is everything still being imported from France?.
(3) What impact would a devaluation of the CFA Franc have on rents and house prices (and demand and supply) in the various areas of Abidjan? I guess no one really knows until it happens, but it would be nice to have an educated guess. Do we have an economist in the audience?
(4) Do people that rent at 30 EUR / month look for a place to live on the internet? As asked in the Construction Underway post.
(5) Is there a behavioural bias against investing in less well off areas such as Yopougon, where the majority of Abidjan’s population lives, and can an external investor benefit from it? My gut feeling is yes, and that an external investor can benefit with a trusted local partner, but I might be totally wrong. More on this in the No Grunge post.
(6) How do I identify people with very high integrity when looking for potential employees in the Ivory Coast? This was raised in the Issue of Trust post.
(7) Who are my readers in Africa, and how did theymanage to find the (completely unSEOd) blog? The blog recently got it’s first pageviews from Africa – hits from Benin and the Ivory Coast, and well, as a new blogger I’m curious about who is reading. This is partially solved as I got feedback from the reader in the Ivory Coast – thanks a lot, made my day!